Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,389
    IGN
    PantyThief
    Level
    100
    Class
    Phantom
    World
    Depends
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco

    Looking For A New Book

    Hello, everyone. I am looking for a new book to read. I was thinking along the lines of a fantasy or science fiction book. I would love it if it was towards the darker side of that realm, sort of like how Death Note is towards the darker side of the manga realm. I'm also down for a nice mystery book. Please post your suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Vegito; 09-14-2012 at 06:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Wild Boar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    IGN
    AstralLight
    Level
    32
    Class
    Mikhail
    World
    Culverin
    While they're not very dark, I tend to always recommend the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (The first book of six is Furies of Calderon) and the Belgariad/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli series by David Eddings. Of the lot, the Codex Alera series might be the darkest, but none of them are particularly dark in that sense. What I do love about them is the writing style which tends towards being snarky. Very snarky. I love snarky.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,389
    IGN
    PantyThief
    Level
    100
    Class
    Phantom
    World
    Depends
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinelf View Post
    While they're not very dark, I tend to always recommend the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (The first book of six is Furies of Calderon) and the Belgariad/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli series by David Eddings. Of the lot, the Codex Alera series might be the darkest, but none of them are particularly dark in that sense. What I do love about them is the writing style which tends towards being snarky. Very snarky. I love snarky.
    It is a series that you have to read in order, or can you skip around to any book you so please?

  4. #4
    Wild Boar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    IGN
    AstralLight
    Level
    32
    Class
    Mikhail
    World
    Culverin
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
    It is a series that you have to read in order, or can you skip around to any book you so please?
    Yeah, you're going to have to read through in series I'm afraid. They're all separate series by the way. Codex Alera is its own series, the Belgariad is its own series but the Mallorean is a sequel series, and the Elenium is its own series with the Tamuli as its sequel series.

    If you want DARK dark though and don't mind electronic reading, Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime get pretty grisly at times. Yes. Visual Novels. 18+ no less.

  5. #5
    Black Mage



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,127
    IGN
    Narthexes
    Level
    200
    Class
    Dragon
    World
    c:
    Persevere Master
Gift received at 12-14-2013, 03:59 AM from KremeChocoBronze medal Supporter
Gift received at 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM from Supermarioz5The Nice List
Gift received at 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM from Star
Message: hope i spelled rightCelebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    Ender's game and the Ender's game series is a nice read. I can't really describe it, you'll just have to read it yourself.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,389
    IGN
    PantyThief
    Level
    100
    Class
    Phantom
    World
    Depends
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalic View Post
    Ender's game and the Ender's game series is a nice read. I can't really describe it, you'll just have to read it yourself.
    Already read the first one. Amazing book. I have the 2nd on my Kindle. I'll get to it eventually.

  7. #7
    Slime
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10
    World
    Culverin
    I started reading The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. The author's attention to detail and use of descriptive language is amazing. However it is a bit hard to understand what's going on sometimes due the author's habit of taking roots of other words and making his own (so if you really wanna be able to understand it you've gotta have a pretty good imagination).

  8. #8
    Dragon Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    145
    IGN
    xSkyLight
    Level
    140
    Class
    ThatThingWithTheWings
    World
    X-21Delta-T-P
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    If you haven't a good phantasy book series is Eragon, while it isn't DARK its a very good read and very absorbing. Also I recommend any of the Rick Riordan books aka the Percy Jackson Series or his two new series.
    "So filled with sarsaparilla I am just choking all over the place, and I really wish it would stop."

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,389
    IGN
    PantyThief
    Level
    100
    Class
    Phantom
    World
    Depends
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    Quote Originally Posted by MarisaZe View Post
    If you haven't a good phantasy book series is Eragon, while it isn't DARK its a very good read and very absorbing. Also I recommend any of the Rick Riordan books aka the Percy Jackson Series or his two new series.
    I read the first book in the Percy Jackson series. I liked it. I began reading the second one but eventually stopped. I saw the movie of Eragon and wasn't too in love with it. Are the books that much better?

  10. #10
    Dragon Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    145
    IGN
    xSkyLight
    Level
    140
    Class
    ThatThingWithTheWings
    World
    X-21Delta-T-P
    Celebrate!
Gift received at 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM from KremeChoco
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
    I read the first book in the Percy Jackson series. I liked it. I began reading the second one but eventually stopped. I saw the movie of Eragon and wasn't too in love with it. Are the books that much better?
    If you've ever seen avatar the last airbender the movie and avatar the last airbender the show, Eragon has that kind of relationship. The movie was god awful but the books are superb.
    "So filled with sarsaparilla I am just choking all over the place, and I really wish it would stop."

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •